Re: Programmable Calculator Policies

I now have a policy of erasing students' calculator memories before
tests or to do without the calculator if the students scream. In
addition, as much as possible, I try to make test questions that do not
require the use of a calculator.

When I was an undergrad, if you would have cleared the memory on my
calculator you would have killed many programs that I had programed
myself. Curve fitting programs, graphing programs, etc.. I might have
had to give you a good hard "dope slap" for a stupid move like that.

Why not just restrict them to non-programmable calculators. Just hand
them out with the test and get them back when they turn them in. You can
get simple scientific calculators for $10-$15 nowadays.
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059