Re: borrowing from tomorrow

The law of universal gravitation is usually introduced when students are
already familiar with the concept of inertial mass and with the mass
unit. The basic
law of electrostatics, on the other hand, is usually introduced in the first
unit (chapter) of electricity. The concept of charge, the unit of charge, and
the force law must be learned at the same time. This creates many conceptual
difficulties.

Because the law of gravitation has already been introduced and "understood"
and because so many have had some experience with static interactions, I
have not experienced the conceptual difficulties that you(Ludwik) allude
to. As your later post suggests, it might be interesting to try teaching
currents first, though I don't find, in my teaching, compelling reasons to
shift from the traditional order.

On the other hand, if one were to teach currents first, where would one
come up with a concept of what was in motion and why? I like developing the
idea of field and potential first.

Ken Fox
Smoky Hill High School
16100 Smoky Hill Rd