Re: PHYS-L digest 312

On Sun, 2 Feb 97, L. Kowalski wrote:

In my opinion an objective demonstration of stroboscopic vision can be an
important first step toward learning about an interesting property of your
unusual eyes. You can do this, for example, at one of our AAPT meetings.
Bring a rapidly spinning wheel with removable spokes (large and shiny, if
you wish) and show that missing spokes can be counted under ordinary
illumination. Strips of white paper, or removable dots, glued to a wheel,
can be used as "spokes" in this kind of demonstration.

I am not sure who Ludwik is refering to in his post. Perhaps it is me. If so,
I would be happy to work *with* you to devise an objective demonstration. Your
suggestions are good ones.

As you seem skeptical (as any good scientist should be) allow me to propose
a scenerio that may make this phenomenon seem more plausible. Someone
submitted a post last week that said this effect could be produced by touching
a vibrating tuning fork to ones head near the eyes. I believe that I've been
able to produce the same effect by causing the muscles that control the
focusing of my eyes to quiver. Just as one can make other muscles quiver by
holding them in a tense state for some time.

Rob