Re: stroboscopic eyes

Here is another thing to try for fun. Find a tuning fork of an appropriate
frequency which, when struck and held vertically infront of the monitor, shows
waves. Some will frequencies will show large, slower waves, others will show
small, faster waves. Choose the fork with the largest wave effect, strike it
sharply and hold the handle firmly against your skull above or beside your eye
while looking at your monitor. I can see a pattern of lines or waves moving up
the screen that seems to match the wave speed seen on the same tuning fork when
held in front of the screen.

Humming at the screen at the right frequency has somewhat the same effect.
Several of us in our office area all see the same effects. Some students are
beginning to think we are a little more weird than usual.

Paul

--------------

kowalskil@alpha.montclair.edu wrote:

I do not believe that a naked eye without a
device of some kind can produce the stroboscopic effect. Ludwik.
I agree. Try this for a 'strobe' effect: As you are looking at your
monitor right now, clack your teeth together a few times. You might
notice that the picture 'jumps' a bit. Now step back across the room
(if you can) and look at the screen while clacking your teeth. Pretty
nifty eh? Riding in a car might at times jiggle your eyeballs enough to
give you a similar stroboscopic effect.

Marian