why kids are doing worse/part 3

This is part 3 of a review of EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE by Daniel Goleman.
Today's post focuses on why schools need to incorporate emotional
intelligence (i.e., using the MIND and WILL to master our emotions) into
the curriculum.

Our brain can be thought of as having 3 main parts, like an onion with 3
layers. The innermost layer is the reptilian brain, which directs our basic
biological functions, the ones we share with reptiles. The middle layer
directs our emotions, and the outer layer is our cortex, which is what we
use when we do physics (chuckle). Research and our own experience shows
that the emotional brain is far quicker than the rational mind, springing
into action without pausing even a moment to consider what it is doing.
That gets us into trouble. So why should emotional intelligence be taught
in schools? So that we can learn to modify this instinctual, emotional
behavior by applying thought and will.

Neuroscientist Dr. Antonio Damasio's research, discussed in Damasio's
recent book entitled DESCARTES' ERROR, shows that REASON IS INSEPARABLY
DEPENDENT ON EMOTION. Damasio discovered that the prefrontal lobes of the
cortex are crucial for emotional integration of reason, i.e., for making
wise decisions. Other research suggests that this area of the brain
continues to develop through adolescence.

In Goleman's words, "[Emotional] habits acquired in childhood become set in
the basic synaptic wiring of neural architecture, and are harder to change
later in life. Given the importance of the prefrontal lobes for managing
emotion, the very long window for synaptic sculpting in this brain region
may well mean that, in the grand design of the brain, a child's experiences
over the years can mold lasting connections in the regulatory circuitry of
the emotional brain. ...critical experiences include how dependable and
responsive to the child's needs parents are, the opportunities and guidance
a child has in learning to handle her own distress and control impulse, and
practice in empathy. By the same token, neglect or abuse, the
misattunement of a self-absorbed or indifferent parent, or brutal
discipline can leave their imprint on the emotional circuitry."

Goleman cites examples of middle school kids who were taught and given
practice on how to (1) know what they were feeling (amazingly, many kids
started out NOT KNOWING!), (2) recognize the difference between FEELING and
ACTING, (3) apply reflective THOUGHT to change their responses to anger,
etc. He talks about what happens in the brain circuitry when we are having
strong emotions like anger, fear, grief, or bliss. He discusses research
such as studies which show that "those [children] who misread emotional
cues tend to do poorly in school compared to their academic potential as
reflected in IQ tests".

After laying a strong foundation throughout the book for his argument that
schools should teach emotional intelligence, in the last chapter Goleman
gives examples of schools that are already including this in the
curriculum. Here are some quotes:

- "As family life no longer offers growing numbers of children a sure
footing in life, schools are left as the one place communities can turn to
for correctives to children's deficiencies in emotional and social
competence....Emotional literacy implies an expanded mandate for schools,
taking up the slack for failing families in socializing children. This
daunting task requires two major changes: that teachers go beyond their
traditional mission and that people in the community become more involved
with schools."

- "In the New Haven school, when teachers first learned that they would be
trained to teach the new emotional literacy courses, 31 percent said they
were reluctant to do so. After a year of teaching the courses, more than
90 percent said they were pleased by them, and wanted to teach them again
the following year."

- "Emotional literacy programs improve children's ACADEMIC achievement
scores.... In a time when too many children lack the capacity to handle
their upset, to listen or focus, to rein in impulse, to feel responsible
for their work or care about learning, anything that will buttress these
skills will help in their education."

- "The optimal design of emotional literacy programs is to begin early, be
age-appropriate, run throughout the school years, and intertwine efforts at
school, at home, and in the community."

One example he cites in an appendix is the Yale - New Haven Social
Competence Promotion Program, which was (or is?) taught in grades 5 to 8 of
the New Haven public schools. It was started due to the influence of a
concerned Yale faculty member, as I recall! The results included:
- IMPROVED PROBLEM - SOLVING SKILLS
- more involvement with peers
- better impulse control
- more skill in handling interpersonal problems
- better coping with anxiety
- less delinquent behavior.
There was a control group, and references to published studies are given.

Goleman discusses U.S. Justice Department figures which show a 68 percent
jump from 1988 to 1992 in the number of juveniles charged with murder,
aggravated assault, robbery and forcible rape. He follows this with his
last paragraph which reads:
"Despite high interest in emotional literacy among some educators,
these courses are as yet rare; most teachers, principals, and parents
simply do not know they exist. The best models are largely outside the
education mainstream, in a handful of private schools and a few hundred
public schools.... But given the crises we find ourselves and our children
facing, and given the quantum of hope held out by courses in emotional
literacy, we must ask ourselves: Shouldn't we be teaching these most
essential skills for life to every child - now more than ever?
And if not now, when?"

Jane Jackson, Prof. of Physics, Scottsdale Comm.College (on leave)
Box 871504, Dept. of Physics, Arizona State Univ., Tempe, AZ 85287-1504.
phone:(602) 965-8438 fax: 965-7331 e-mail: jane.jackson@asu.edu
Modeling Workshop Project: http://modeling.la.asu.edu/modeling.html