a myth about ice skating

Jane Jackson (see address below the line) asked me to post this message.

While riding the city bus to work today, I read SCIENCE NEWS (Jan. 4,
1997). An article on p. 4 reads as follows:

"...Now, some of the first molecular-scale images of its surface may
explain just why ice is so slick. The images, taken by researchers at the
Lawrence Berkeley (Calif.) National Laboratory, suggest that WATER MOLECULES
ON THE SURFACE OF ICE VIBRATE FASTER THAN EXPECTED, FORMING A QUASILIQUID
LAYER EVEN AT TEMPERATURES WELL BELOW FREEQING. This mobile surface may not
only explain how skating and skiing are possible but may also provide insight
into a key step of the ozone depletion process in the upper atmosphere..."

Shown is a computer-generated model of the structure of ice. From macroscopic
to microscopic models, again!

Ludwik, I forgot which listserv you were discussing this on - physhare or
phys-l, so I'll ask you to post this, if you'd like. I think it would be
appreciated.
Jane Jackson (Prof. of Physics, Scottsdale Comm. College--on leave)
Dept.of Physics, Box 871504, Arizona State Univ.,Tempe AZ 85287-1504.
jane.jackson@asu.edu (602)965-8438 FAX:965-7331
Modeling Workshop Project: http://modeling.la.asu.edu/modeling.html