Mad Scientist

After spending a day with a friend who is an engineer in the
Coast Guard, we were trading some stories of things we have seen and done
in the past. A couple of things that he had seen as a demo at his school
was an "ionizing wand". Apparently, it was a wand that if pointed at
someone would cause them to build up a static charge. There was also a
device that one of his professors used that used a speaker to create a
sub-sonic wave. The speaker was pointed at the "smoke" created by either
dry-ice or ammonium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid. When this was done,
the sound waves caused the "smoke" to quickly go across the room in a
small column originating fromt he speaker.
He said that these demos, and many others relating to physics,
were found in a book called the "Mad Scientists' Handbook" or some title
close to that. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it a legitimate book
or is it some trash like the anarchist or terrorist handbook?

Thanks,
Dwight
dsouder@juno.com