RED EYE

Hi Physics Phriends !

I posted a question on RED EYE on Physhare and received no response.
Perhaps someone on Phys-l can help. Below is my Physhare posting:

Quick Question: I need a brief explanation of what causes RED EYE in color
photographs taken with a flash.

Without doing any research, I've been telling students that the pupil of
the eye is nearly a black body absorber, absorbing virtually all the light
which enters (otherwise we couldn't see as much as we do) and that any
light which escapes from the pupil from the original white light should
have the color of the tissue inside the eye which is probably red (as I
pull down the skin below my eye showing a lot of reddish skin). I then
tell them that the cameras which reduce red eye have the flash blink
rapidly for about 2 seconds before the actual picture is taken in order to
cause the pupil to contract which reduces the amount of red light escaping.
Corrections? Modifications ?

I will tell you why I asked after I read your brief answers.

Bye, David

Oh, by the way. Did you hears about the cross-eyed teacher?? He couldn't
control his pupils !!

David R. Thiessen FUN + PHYSICS = PHUN
Science Department PHYSICS IS PHUN !!
Deerfield High School
1959 North Waukegan Road Education increases your freedom
Deerfield, IL 60015 Because It Increases Your Options !!
Home phone (815) 337-2883
School phone (708) 405-8488 Education will enrich your life
Voice Mail (708) 374-3811 then *610 Even if it doesn't enhance your income !!
School Fax (708) 945-0970
Remember when students brought teachers
Apples instead of driving them bananas ??

dthiessn@nslsilus.org (Quote sources long forgotten)