Re: semesters

I too don't recommend it. I had my intro physics year under the quarter
system and consider my experience to be all the better for it.

May I mention a radical alternative? I had my first year physics over
three semesters. When will we stop trying to shove 45 weeks of physics
into a thirty week format? Surely no one seriously contemplates doing
all of Halliday and Resnick or any of the other Sears & Zemansky clones
in just three semesters. Why then prescribe a huge, structured textbook?
All that will be accomplished is a slapdash job on as much as can be
crammed into the time alloted, and the book's structure be damned!

I call that prayer wheel physics. We expect them to learn it because we
"covered" it all. It doesn't work.

Leigh