Re: Caving in: "Too strict" teacher fired

I have taught under some pretty adverse conditions, but
could never justify failing/dropping 80% of my students.

Scott Rippetoe rippetoe@tenet.edu
Academy of Science and Technology voice (713) 292-2615
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca> said:

Sounds like it's probably a tough inner city school, eh?
I think you have no imagination. I've heard stories that
would make me believe in 80% irredeemable classes - in
physics!

Like anything else, physics can be taught at several different levels.
Most of us are familiar with the difference between non-calc and calc
physics at the college level, and "regular" and "conceptual" physics at
the high school level. Probably, there was more to the 80% flunk/drop
rate than the news media reported; there nearly always is. Therefore,
it's hard to say what I would have done in that teacher's circumstances.

However, I can think of several things I might have done before putting
80% of my students out the door. I might have asked the admin to allow a
renaming of the course, or splitting the 20% off from the 80% so I could
teach them at a higher level. I might have even found out where the kids
were in terms of knowledge, skills, and conceptions, and started the
course at that point. If I was unhappy teaching at the required level,
I'd have also been looking for a job.

This idea that 80% of some classes would be irredeemable -- esp. physics
-- seems to me to be elitist. Physics is just like the other subjects --
teachable at some intellectually honest level to any age kid at any level
of cognitive development and mathematical sophistication. Of course,
some of us *prefer* to teach it in certain ways, at levels that we like,
to students who interact well with our chosen methods and levels. But
that doesn't make the students irredeemable; perhaps it makes the
teacher irredeemable in the unwanted context.

(Note that I am not saying that all students are redeemable, because
they're not. Some of them are brain damaged. Some of them are
sociopaths. Etc. But ***80%***??? I doubt it, even in the roughest
inner city school.)