Re: Students and Tests - Kyle and business models

I've just got to say something. I agree with Kyle and Allen. They are
singing the true notes that we all hope may again be heard in the land.
I'm afraid that for the present and the forseeable future the business
model with accountability foremost, the students (and students' parents
if they pay the bill) as consumers, and blame assigned to the teachers
if Johnny can't decompose functions into their proper spherical
harmonic components.

Our problems, however, are not the worst. Consider the plight of the
teacher who is asked "Why can't Johnny read?" by his literate parent or
parents. The answer ought to be obvious; the parents didn't do their
job! Parents think that because they pay for schools they are relieved
of the responsibility for the education of their own children. That is
a serious error which has been made because of the business model of
education. In the same way some parents have not done their part in
teaching their children proper work habits and instructing them in
matters of morals, ethics, and even personal safety! All of those
things, and reading as well, must be taught and reinforced at home. I
think that many parents today would disagree with that proposition,
citing their quite considerable outlay for education as being an
appropriate substitute.

The problem is much deeper than the aspect of it we have been
discussing. I feel it is a societal problem, and it is serious.

Leigh