RE: attention deficit

I had a student last year with a dyslexic problem. The student was given a
reader and a location (at our testing center) to take the tests. My input
was removed (to my relief) as to what else to do for the student. We have a
diasability officer here, who made the determination that the student wasn't
faking and determined that he should have 50% more time than the regular
student. I was very glad that I didn't have to make these decisions myself.
Joel

I've had similar experiences. The problem I have with the whole ADA thing is
that colleges are asked to certify (in some sense) academic achievement. When
a student leaves with a degree, that degree does not indicate that the student
requires 50% longer to complete a task.

Will the graduate give his employer 60 hours per week to compensate, or is the
employer obligated to provide a 1/2 time assistant for this employee?

Before the flames begin, let me say that one of our best 2 year chem tech
students was dislexic. In the early 80s, she came through our program before
the heavy hand of the government stuck its nose in. She was an outstanding
A student by force of her will, work, and determination. Reports from her
employer indicated that she was an outstanding employee as well. She had been
written off in her high school. We did nothing special for her but provide the
attention we are willing to provide to all our students. Her success was hers.
Not ours nor the government's.

When one sees reports in the press of increasing numbers of students trying to
be declared learning disabled for special treatment on SATs and when school
districts rush to enable this behavior because they can get an extra 25 to 30%
from state funding, one can ask if this is appropriate.

How do we maintain our integrity?

Ciao,

:-) :-)
:-) Frank M. Lanzafame Department of Chemistry :-)
:-) Monroe Community College 1000 East Henrietta Rd. :-)
:-) Rochester, NY 14623 (716) 292-2396 :-)
:-) Internet: flanzafame@eckert.acadcomp.monroecc.edu :-)
:-) :-)