RE: Use of exams.

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Martha Takats wrote:

(2) Although I haven't experienced it myself, I know some teachers have had
to give separate untimed tests for students diagnosed with attention deficit
disorder (mandated by ADA). In many cases this is legitimate, but there is
also the possibility of abuse. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Martha,

We have a campus "Learning Center" where students who feel that they need
alternate testing conditions can go and take a test under supervision,
provided that they fill out paperwork ahead of time. It is a bit of an
extra chore for the teacher, since it is up to the instructor to arrange
with the learning center staff how to get the exams back and forth. I tell
all of my students about this option, and about 1/3 of our general
chemistry class elects to do this. It has been my experience that only
rarely does time really make a difference. The students who get 35% on a
exam get 35% even if they have all day to work on a one-hour test.

Best Wishes,
Jim Diamond, chairman Chemistry Department Linfield College
jimd@calvin.linfield.edu McMinnville OR 97128 (503)-434-2471