speed of light

We were discussing the Michelson experiment to measure the speed of light
using a rotating octagonal mirror and a mirror 35 km away. I would like to
find out more details on the experiment. What was the light source, how
big
were the rotating mirrors, how did he achieve the high rotational speed,
and measure the rotational speed? Is there a source for this information?
Also the book talks about Roemer's experiment using the moons of
Jupiter for the speed of light. How did they know the diameter of the
Earth's orbit in the 1600's?

fredb@teleport.COM Public Access User --- Not affiliated with Teleport
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-14400, N81)