Re: percent success HERE ARE SOME STATS

At 12:26 PM 11/14/96 -0700, Dan MacIsaac wrote:

Note that fewer than 8% (rounded) took Chem+Ast+Phys combined. I believe
that the requirement to take Env Ed (besides legislating a lot of jobs
teaching Env Ed) helps steer them into Earth Sci rather more than I would
have thought otherwise. So AZ Elementary teachers are well-equipped to
teach environmental science and biology, but things go downhill from there.
No wonder Elementary Teachers feel insecure teaching science.

May I offer that your table suggests that elementary teachers are insecure
teaching _physical science_. My guess is that they are very comfortable
teaching the "softer" natural sciences - thus cloning the next generation
to take bio-environmental rather than physics-chem-astronomy.

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "Because Mathematicians frequently make *
P.O. Box 5005 * use of Time, they ought to have a *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * distinct Idea of the meaning of that *
* Word, otherwise they are Quacks ... " *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Isaac Barrow *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *