Re: percent success HERE ARE SOME STATS

Here are real, genuine stats for Elementary Teaching Majors at NAU (an
ex-Normal School and source of a large proportion of AZ elementary teachers).
These stats were collected for an Eisenhower proposal instantiating an
integrated science course.

All elementary teachers require 2 x 4hr science credits, one of which MUST
BE Env101 (environmental Studies)*; of 391 registrations randomly selected then
determined to be classifible for their science courses this semester:

Science Course # students %
Environmental Ed 159 40
Biology 123 32
Geology/Earth Sci 80 20
Chemistry 18 5
Astronomy 10 3
PHYSICS 1 0.3

Note that fewer than 8% (rounded) took Chem+Ast+Phys combined. I believe
that the requirement to take Env Ed (besides legislating a lot of jobs
teaching Env Ed) helps steer them into Earth Sci rather more than I would
have thought otherwise. So AZ Elementary teachers are well-equipped to
teach environmental science and biology, but things go downhill from there.
No wonder Elementary Teachers feel insecure teaching science.

I think the word gets put out against physics by elementary school teachers who
don't know much (if any)physics and feel afraid of it....and they project that
to their students....and the cycle continues...

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html