Re: Jackson on Jackson

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Leigh Palmer wrote:
How many Jascha Heifetz would we expect to produce if we lectured to
violin students instead of giving them individual instruction? Maybe
physics is more like violin playing than it is like history.

This statement very much strikes at my center of understanding. Physics
is learned (as opposed to absorbed) because a student decides to think
in terms of the guidelines and rules our discipline offers. We can provide
opportunities for such thinking, but the students themselves must think.

Tim

Timothy C. Burgess
Science in Motion Project
Physics Department ILB-42 Office: (334)-460-6224
University of South Alabama FAX: (334)-460-6800
Mobile, Alabama 36688 Home: (334)-432-3024

E-mail: tburgess@jaguar1.usouthal.edu