Re: a little more sparring

HERETICAL IDEA

I have an opinion, (not well thought out , but discussed with scientist
friends, not all physicists) that non-science majors shouldn't take an
introductory physics course; and for a lot of the reasons Dewey mentions. I
might really be needed for these students is something more along the lines
of year course in Science, i.e. a science 101 if you will. This would
undoubtably be a multi-disciplinary course with a heavy physics component
and laboratory work. But would necessarily involve important scientific
ideas coming from other disciplines then physics; modern molecular biology
is an obvious need; for scientific literacy and understanding in the general
college educated non-science major population. That is, these 95% that
aren't being served well. I would like to see more physics educators think
in these terms and try to develope such courses with their other physics
colleagues. It would take a lot of work, but I think would serve this
population better, society better than taking a non-science major physics
course, or chem course or bio course to fulfill the science core.

I hope the above paragraph, will start a blizzard of discussion and
comments.

Joel

Here's my contribution to the blizzard from my note from *Wednesday*:

A simple place to begin, as far as I'm concerned, would be to reserve the
vocational training strictly for physics and engineering majors and for
everyone else (K - 12) and college non-science majors develop courses in
which the *students'* understanding concerning the *phenomena* are the
object of attention. I think even the physics and engineering majors
would be all the better for this approach of partitioning the thrust of
courses at the different levels.

(Hmm... a blizzard that begins before it is called for, I think, Azimov
wrote a short story about a material which dissolved before being added to
the solvent, didn't he?)

;^)
Dewey

Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr. Phone: (208)385-3105
Professor of Physics Dept: (208)385-3775
Department of Physics/SN318 Fax: (208)385-4330
Boise State University dykstrad@varney.idbsu.edu
1910 University Drive Boise Highlanders
Boise, ID 83725-1570 novice piper

"Physical concepts are the free creations of the human mind and
are not, however it may seem, uniquely determined by the external
world."--A. Einstein in The Evolution of Physics with L. Infeld,
1938

"Don't mistake your watermelon for the universe." --K. Amdahl in
There Are No Electrons, 1991.