a little more sparring

Apparently, the indication that most students do not do well on something
ike the FCI isn't important either. Hmmmm.....

Maybe, maybe not HMMMMMM....

If the fact that the overwhelming end result of physics instruction for 95%
of the students who receive it is dislike, belief that they cannot
understand it, and no evidence of understanding of it (FCI and other tests)
isn't data ("The plural of anecdote is not data!"), then where's the "data"
that says "that rigorous work in problem solving has... sharpened their
critical thinking skills, that they ... have a better understanding of the
physical world than before instruction, that they ... have a better feel
for the methods of science is hardly objective."?

True anecdotes are data, because they are observations about the world about
us. Although, one must be very very very very very careful about drawing
conclusions from a few anecdotes. However, many many anecdotes taken over
the course of a life time, strikes me as often being valid.

BTW the overwhelming result of the required drownproofing course I had in
college was of dislike; yet it was a very valuable course for me to have
taken.

Finally, for now, I'm wondering where the fact that I am pointing to the
failure with the 95% says automatically that I am _also_ referring or
specifically saying failure with the 5%. (I have suggested that the 5%
might be better for a different kind of initial instruction, but have I
specifically said that the 5% are failed too? I don't think so.)

Good, point and this point recognizes that to a significant degree folks are
argueing past each other here.

So it's okay then to ignore our effect on the 95%?

HERETICAL IDEA

I have an opinion, (not well thought out , but discussed with scientist
friends, not all physicists) that non-science majors shouldn't take an
introductory physics course; and for a lot of the reasons Dewey mentions. I
might really be needed for these students is something more along the lines
of year course in Science, i.e. a science 101 if you will. This would
undoubtably be a multi-disciplinary course with a heavy physics component
and laboratory work. But would necessarily involve important scientific
ideas coming from other disciplines then physics; modern molecular biology
is an obvious need; for scientific literacy and understanding in the general
college educated non-science major population. That is, these 95% that
aren't being served well. I would like to see more physics educators think
in these terms and try to develope such courses with their other physics
colleagues. It would take a lot of work, but I think would serve this
population better, society better than taking a non-science major physics
course, or chem course or bio course to fulfill the science core.

I hope the above paragraph, will start a blizzard of discussion and
comments.

Joel