Playful sparring with Dewey

Richard Tarara actually as already given my main response; but I can't
resist opening my mouth a little more (something my parents told me not to
do, but it was a lesson that never sank in; sometimes to my regret).

Well, as one whose experience is now all too close to 30 years, I have to
point out that having degrees and applying for positions, etc. has little
to do with the measures referred to in the quoted passage. We recently had
a search which yielded about 350 applicants, but these applicants are from
a pool that consists of less than 1% of all the people who have ever had
physics instruction in their lives.

But, those applicants apparently succeeded (in general), despite having been
victimized by traditional instruction for the most part.

The reason that we see so many applicants per position is not that the
world is swamped by the successes of our instruction, but that there are so
few positions available (and we have fax and word processing to support the
enterprise of making applications.) A case *might* even be made that there
are so few positions available is another possible measure attributable to
a kind of failure of the educational responsibilities of our profession.

I'd say that we are being swamped by successes, as least as measured by our
society's willingness to hire the product of that process. Our state
legislature is not hiring more products because of "failure of the
educational responsibilities of our profession." , but rather because it
sees no need to do so.

It strikes me that when we do consider the numbers (I generated a
calculation last year of relative numbers of student-instruction-hours in
physics, teachers and students at all levels, elementary, middle/jr, high
school, college non-majors, college and graduate majors.), suggesting that
those who become physics majors might have done much of what they have
accomplished in spite of us in intro classes (HS & College) is hard to
dismiss on numbers alone. Less than 1% of all people who receive physics
instruction become physicists.

Repeat of Richard Tarara's response.

The one thing learned by 99+% of all who have some physics instruction and
probably the only lasting thing measured as surviving decades is NOT
anything from the canon of physics, instead it is that:

Of course, I doubt 3 decades later any non-science major is going to
remember much from the physics course other than, I liked it , I didn't like
it, the teacher was a bastard or what have you. I remember little from my
1st grade class (that I don't directly use in daily life; which for first
grade is most everything, so its not such a good example; but I hope you get
the point)

A simple place to begin, as far as I'm concerned, would be to reserve the
vocational training strictly for physics and engineering majors and for
everyone else (K - 12) and college non-science majors develop courses in
which the *students'* understanding concerning the *phenomena* are the
object of attention. I think even the physics and engineering majors would
be all the better for this approach of partitioning the thrust of courses
at the different levels.

Gee, I was talking about the course for science and engineering students,
not the course for non-science majors!!! So actually I have a fair amount
in common (which I didn't mention, since I was being a devil's advocate)
with Dewey's views when it comes to the non-science major course.

Joel

BTW I don't advocate not trying to do a better job when and where we can;
and in this regard I applaud Dewey's efforts. But certainly science and
engineering technology have been doing quite well in the last two centuries
(certainly as well as society seems to be able to assimilate), and this is
"despite" mostly traditional instruction.