Re: what to call little "g"

At 02:21 AM 10/26/96 -0500, you wrote:
I am sure we all have our own methods for explaining why calling `g' the
acceleration due to gravity is inappropriate. I would suggest defining
weight in the usual way and then calling `g' the weight per kg (or lb, if
you must).

I prefer the weight-as-normal-force approach. This
certainly makes it easier to describe the sensations felt,
for example, on a roller coaster or Ferris wheel. A rider
feels weightless at the top of an arc when v = sqrt(rg)
because the only force on the rider is gravity (providing
the centripetal force), and the normal force of the seat
on the rider is zero.

Stanley J. McCaslin Inet: mccaslin@bobcat.peru.edu
Assistant Professor, Computer Science Phone:402/872-2208
Peru State College, Peru, NE 68421 Home: 402/872-7595

The Internet is the most important single development in the history
of human communications since the invention of "call waiting."
--Dave Barry