Re: Joule Experiment

Classical experiment, yes; "mechanical equivalwent of heat, no.
This was one of many misinterpretations of classical experiments used to
establish the current approach to thermo. The work done was converted to
the internal energy of the worked fluid (water, here, ice-water in
others). To say that "heat" was involved confuses the issue, for if w =
-q, then delta U = 0 and the temperature would not have changed. The
"heat" of the experiment could only be the error part due to exchange
with the surroundings.

Does the entropy change? Of what? Of the water? I guess so.
Of the entire system (source of work, paddles, water etc.) - I guess it
would have to, since there is an actual process occurring (spontaneity =
increase in S). It shouldn't matter what the working fluid is. And it
shouldn't matter how the work is accomplished - whether by stirring or
"squishing".

Please note that I have attempted to help out without even
introducing further discussion about "heat" as a noun or verb. You're
welcome.

Larry