Re: HTML Symbols

Martha, are you saying that Netscape will do this -- I've tried but can't
seem to do it -- but that may be do to senility. This might be one of the
Explorer things.

JMGreen@sisna.com

At 08:19 AM 10/1/96 EST, you wrote:
You can get a lot of special characters with the html code &#n, where n is
a number from 0 to 255. The lower numbers give you the ordinary abc...123...
and most of the others are special alphabet characters for use with various
languages, but I found a few (by trying every number in an html document!)
which were useful symbols. Unfortunately, I also discovered that the most
useful ones were not consistent from one browser to another (even different
versions of the same browser!) and I subsequently read that there's a range
of numbers in the middle you aren't supposed to use at all, probably for that
reason. So I have started to make my own (as I need them; have only done pi
and delta so far). On the Mac, this is how I do it:
(1)type the symbols with a word processor
(2)do a screen capture (command-shift-3)
(3)open the resulting picture with SimpleText
(4)copy the little piece I want
(5)use Clip2Gif to make the gif.
It's not really that much work; I'll make myself a big set someday, when I
get organized!
For detailed info on the &#n form (but not on most of the symbols you want),
see http://www.uni-passau.de/%7Eramsch/iso8859-1.html

Martha Takats
Physics Department
Ursinus College