list of best methods

A new colleague asks you "What teaching methods should I use (or avoid) in
my class?" or "What do we know from educational research results that works
or doesn't work". You want to give them a short list (a page or so) with a
few references (only a few seminal refs per idea) of things to try and
things to avoid. Examples might be 'try collaborative learning in small
groups', 'avoid a straight lecture format, we know it is ineffective'. How
would you answer the question?

Diane Grayson in a previous post gave us in a nutshell the do's and don'ts
for using technology successfully for teaching, Several others have
provided references and comments on that subject. Can others on the list
provide equally succinct summaries of other techniques or methods? Or
pointers to seminal references?

I'm asking this because I want to put together such a list for the part
time instructors that I hire. I also intend to give it to some secondary ed
majors in my classes who will eventually be teaching physics. I'm not
interested in giving them theory here (i.e. why it works) but proven
results. Entire bibliogrqphies are also not going to be useful to a new
teacher imeadiately either. I just want to be able to throw out some proven
(i.e. referenced) ideas that people can follow up on if they want to.

Thanks for any help, (sorry for the duplicate post)
kyle

! kyle forinash 812-941-2390 !
! forinas@indiana.edu !
! Natural Science Division !