Re: What Flows?

There are times when you almost have to use thermal energy. Consider the
following example, borrowed from a book somewhere:

A heavy sealed cylinder with a spark plug fitted into the side is
filled with a mixture of air and gasoline vapor. The cylinder is well
insulated. When the spark plug is flashed the mixture gets very hot and
the pressure inside the cylinder rises as does the temperature, but the
cylinder does not fail. So,
delta Q = 0 (insulated)
delta W = 0 (cylinder does not fail)
delta U = 0 (the above, and first law)
If the energy of the spark is negligible this is a completely closed
system, but clearly something has happened. It has gotten hot, the
pressure of the gas has gone way up, and the chemistry of the gas inside
has been altered. Are you going to tell me that it is not helpful from
the point of view of understanding to point out that although the
internal energy is the same, chemical energy has been converted to
thermal energy? Unfortunately, I can't talk about it any other way.
Barlow Newbolt