Re: Weird question...

Dwight S. asks:

I have a question that I and a friend have been arguing about. I
was wondering if someone could help me out? The question is this:

If 2 people are 2 light years apart. Person 1 wants to signal Person 2.
Person 1 has a laser and a rigid stick that is just a few inches short of
2 light years in length (almost touching Person 2). At the exact same
time, the laser is shown at Person 2 and the rigid pole is pushed into
Person 2. Which will reach Person 2 first?

Assume the pole is rigid and there is no sideway flexing.

If someone could please help us out, it would be very greatly appreciated.

The very concept of rigidity requires the concept of instantaneous action at
a distance, and therefore contradicts relativity. Your question is much like
asking what would happen if an irresistable force met up with an immovable
object. Both require the existence of a conceptual contradiction.

David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us