Re: weird electrostatic effecti,

hi,
This ion idea has some potential problems:

1.) What keeps the ions for recombining with the
charge on the tape?
2.) On the pressurized tube idea, draw the field lines
in the tube. I think you will find that except at the ends
there is a constant potential inside so the field is zero.
As James McLean said, the neutral gas in the tube, interacts
with the charged ions enough so that the pressure does
not really increase. If enough ions could be poured into
the tube, these ions gain kinetic energy as they approach
the tube and thus slightly increase the temperature
inside the tube.
Thanks
roger haar