Re: teaching models in physics

Hi

Might the textbook have meant: the tide on the earth on the side
away from the moon was caused by REVOLUTION of the Earth about the Earth-
Moon center of mass. If the term "revolution" was used rather than
"rotation," then the idea would be basically correct. The moon's gravity
at the far side of the earth is not quite enough to cause the centipetal
acceleration that the earth on an average experiences. Thus the far side of
the earth is pulled along by the rest of the earth, but the water ...

Thanks,
Roger Haar
U AZ