RE: Ideas for 8th Grade Science Camp

Hi all and James Shue-
James, you ask
Illegal or not, the question still stands. What would happen if we
detonated a thermonuclear device in space? What sort of shock wave would
it send out? What sort of debris would it leave behind? It it were
exploded at a distance of lets say... half the distance between us and the
moon, could we see the flash and what effect would it have on the earth or
the moon? Surely some of the nuclear people out there have addressed this
question before. I'm just curious!

--
There were some detonations in the sixties at altitudes with
densities approaching those in deep space. I don't know the extent