RE: Ideas for 8th Grade Science Camp

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Paul Camp wrote:

Jack, how about we put some of our "high tech" knowledge to work along
with our surplus nuclear missiles and zap the sucker. What does a nuclear
explosion in space do? Have we ever tried it?
James Bradford Shue

It's illegal -- outlawed by the Orbital Test Ban Treaty.

Illegal or not, the question still stands. What would happen if we
detonated a thermonuclear device in space? What sort of shock wave would
it send out? What sort of debris would it leave behind? It it were
exploded at a distance of lets say... half the distance between us and the
moon, could we see the flash and what effect would it have on the earth or
the moon? Surely some of the nuclear people out there have addressed this
question before. I'm just curious!
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059