Austral hurricanes

Someone asked whether there are hurricanes/typhoons in the southern
hemisphere. I couldn't imagine why not but can't recall having heard of
such. A colleague from Sao Paulo, Brazil, said he'd not seen/heard of
them .. so I wonder whether any Aussie/NZlanders are tuned in and have
words of wisdom.
If they exist I suppose it is our Boreal-chauvinism that prompts my
ignorance; if not, what's special about the northern or southern
hemisphere?

John Cooper, Chemistry, Bucknell University, Lewisburg PA 17837-2005
jcooper@bucknell.edu 717-524-3673