Re: Re: Tides

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 96 00:36:52 EDT
From: David Dockstader <DRDOCK00@UKCC.UKY.EDU>

Have any of you ever reviewed a text, made suggestions, and had your
your suggestions implemented?

Yes. But it was a graduate textbook for general topology, and the suggestions
were to add a couple of topics, so that may not count. (Besides, it was a
pure math text.)
I also recommended that another publisher not publish the manuscript they
sent me to review. As far as I know, they didn't. But again, it was a pure
math text, although this time on undergraduate topology. My complaint was
that it was far too sophisticated for the US undergrad market, and far too
incomplete for the grad market.
On the other hand I refereed a paper for a SIAM journal once, improved
the authors' main theorem and added several references, and saw the paper
appear unchanged from the submission. It's the only time an editor ever asked
me to return my copy of the submission, together with my notes on revision,
and not to keep any copies of either. I was young, inexperienced, and did it.
Now I know I shouldn't have.

Phil Parker Internet: pparker@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu
Math. Dept., Wichita St. Univ. Bitnet: pparker@twsuvm
I find [in mathematics] a wonderful beauty. This is no science, this is
art, where equations fall away to elements like resolving chords, and
where always prevails a symmetry either explicit or multiplex, but always
of a crystalline serenity.---Turjan of Miir (Jack Vance)