Lightning Detector

I just received an ad enclosed in my electricity bill for the
"Guardian Angel" lightning detector. It is a hand-held, battery-
powered device that is supposed to detect the approach of storms by "
analyzing electromagnetic frequencies in the air." It has LEDs which
light up to give the distance to the storm/lightning up to 40 miles
away. The ad suggests taking it "while you golf, picnic, boat...It
might just save your life."

The cost is $200. I can't afford to get one to find out how it
works.

I understand that lighting produces RF radiation and that this could
be detected, but how is the distance determined?

Anyone care to take a stab at this one?

The device is available from Comm-Omni International, Chagrin Falls
OH. The person who answered the order number just read me the folder
when I asked her how it works.

Dave

* St. John's Jesuit High School *
* David A. Simmons 5901 Airport Highway *
* <smtc45@uoft02.utoledo.edu> Toledo OH 43615 *