Re: Binaural Beats & Phys-l

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Cherie Lehman wrote:

John, yesterday (before reading your post), I checked for the phenomenon
with a 440 Hz, 443 Hz combination and was disappointed by the lack of
beats. It was thoughtful of you to answer that question before I asked it.
:)

Although I have no real desire to dismiss the implication of prescience in
Cherie's comments ;-), my source (the liner notes for the CD I mentioned)
actually says that the BEST binaural beats occur around 400 Hz (but with
delta f's of about 30 Hz.) The "high" frequencies at which the beats
generally disappear are reputedly higher yet -- above 1500 Hz.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/