AP Physics B Exam - easy? Think again

Mayhaps we are using the wrong adjective "easy/hard" to describe this year's AP
B exam. I experienced it as wonderfully conceptual. Instead of plugging numbers
into memorized relationships my kids had to (1) visualize, (2) think ahead and
make predictions, (3) think like a researcher, etc. I think that the questions
that we consider easy may not be evaluated by the readers as such. For example
the simpliest answer to the "how would you find the force constant" question
would probably involve one mass and one measurement. But might not the readers
be looking for multiple measurements, repeated trials, graphing, finding the
slope, etc. Minimum points for a minimum answer.

This test put a lot more emphasis on process rather than content. My AP
Computer Science teacher has experienced those tests constantly changing and
evolving. I expect that the new format for the B test will also be constantly
changing.

Raymond A. Rogoway * The woods are lovely, dark and deep *
Independence High School * But I have promises to keep *
1776 Educational Park Drive * And miles to go before I sleep *
San Jose, CA 95133-1795 * And miles to go before I sleep. *

Internet: rrogowa@cello.gina.calstate.edu
rogoway@nes.nersc.gov
AOL rayrogoway@ aol.com
Fax 408.926.6785