Re: Amazing facts

The other one said that a fully loaded truck puts less force on the
pavement than a woman in spike-heeled shoes, so we needn't
worry about the trucks.

When I was in high school, spikes were in fashion and at that time, I had
a vacation job of waxing floors at the local schools. I could always
tell if a woman or man taught in the room as there would be half-moon
marks, especially under the desk, in the rooms where women taught as they
would dig in their heels when they backed the chair away from the desk.
The same would be true in front of the chalkboard. I remember reading
that a 120 lb woman would exert the equivalent of 20,000 lbs of force on
the floor when they walked in spikes.

This story is great to illustrate forces or impulse with students. The
moral is, never allow a woman in spikes to walk across your hardwood floors.

Lowell Herr
The Catlin Gabel School