Re: Determining masses within a rotating reference frame

On Wed, 1 May 1996, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

where Co, Ce, and Cs are the three parameters of the fit to the data.

... we find the mass of Earth =
Ce/G and the mass of the sun = Cs/G.

Did I do it?

I'm going to be persnickety and change the ground rules at the last
minute -- add "without adjustable parameters to fit the data, i. e.,
using only nonadjustable constants such as Pi, G, g, Etc."

If adjustable parameters are allowed, I can do the problem in any frame
with just one: C/G = M+m. But if you do find a way to evaluate your
constants in whatever frame, the binary star people will be interested.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu
Department of Physics PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453