Re: non-inertial: plants

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Rauber, Joel Phys wrote:

I don't understand Marlow's power company comments. I assume they are
charging me for whatever it is that Marlow is worried about.

If you are dealing with an honest energy company, YES, they will only
charge you for the energy I concern myself with, and they will not
include any charge for pesudowork done by pseudoforces.

Exactly what is the kinetic energy of a car moving at 60 mph down the
highway? Marlow will have tremendous trouble inside a room without windows
measuring the kinetic energy of objects; because he will have to somehow
figure out what is the true KE and what is the apparent KE. I don't.

Why should I have any difficulty in a closed room?? Forensic labs do
this sort of work all the time, and they don't have to do it by a window.
The most exact measurements are carefully made by calorimetry --
translating the KE into a temperature rise -- but you can get very good
results firing bullets into standardized material, Etc. No pseudoforces,
pseudoenergy or pseudowork enters into these measurements or calculations
in any way.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu
Department of Physics PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453