Re: Black holes

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Chris Jones wrote:

By the way, the argument on non-inertial frames has gone on long enough. The
effects seem to be agreed, but now the correspondance is just quibbling over
definitions. Sort it out!

I agree! I am sure many are tired of this flood of mail. Both parties
have valid points, so lets stop arquing over who is "right".
All mechanics texts I have seen find the effective potential a very
useful tool for studying central forces. Those psuedoforces can be very
handy when applied to isolated systems, but you had better be careful,
because no system is completely isolated.
For example, in a sufficiently massive rotating space station you could
perform all our standard lecture demos using the psuedo-gravitational
force m*w^2*r and a corresponding psuedo-potential energy (JR's point), but
you had better be careful when docking with the supply ship(AM's point).
Can't we end this thread? It has been interesting, but it is time to
close it.
Al Clark