Re: data search.. RL circuits examples

Hi There.
We are doing a unit on electrical circuits. We are looking at RC and
RL circuits.
We are looking for specific example of applications of RC circuits and RL
circuits. NOT RLC or LC circuits...
Some examples found are: filters, transistor coupling, 555 timing circuits,
power supply filtering...

We have had some trouble measing the time constant using a DVM with values of
R at 220K ohms and C at 10 uF. I seem to remember sometime about calculating the
time constant at either the 90% and 10% voltage points (or is it 80% and 20).

RC circuit here

The switch is closed at time=0. After the switch is closed, the
voltage on the capacitor changes from its initial value to a value
that aproaches Vb in an exponential manner.

The following equations describe the voltage change with regard to
time.

Vc(t) = Vb + (Vc(0) - Vb)e^(-t/T)
T = RC
Where:

C Is the value of the capacitor in farads.
e is 2.718 (you knew that, right? :-) )
R Is the value of the resistor in ohms.
t Is the time in seconds after the switch is closed.
T Is actually Tau, but that's not in ASCII
It is the time constant, the product of R and C
Vb Is the voltage supplied by the voltage source.
In this case, the battery symbol represents an ideal
voltage source.
Vc(t) Is the voltage across the capacitor at the specified time.

Thanks in advance for any help

PS is there a way to do a data search for this listserve???