Re: Van de Graaff

Clean Dry hair is best. Putting gunk on the hair only weights it down
and may cause it to stick to itself and reduce the effect. The best I
have ever produced was with a blue eyed blond (very fine hair-not
bleached). Her hair was about 40-50 cm long. EVERY strand stood out!
It was fantastic.

The atmospheric conditions play a very important part in the success or
failure of the demonstration. I am fortunate in having a good air
conditioner in my room that I can lower the humidity to 20% or so even if
it is foggy outside. If the outside air is reasonably dry, I can get
much lower. Make the room as DRY as possible.

I have borrowed a large rectangular glass tank (1+ cm thick sides) that I
use to insulate the student from the ground. I have also used a wooden
stool with good results. The Science Center in town uses a "Rubbermaid"
plastic step stool with their generator.

Good luck

Pete