Re: Van de Graaff

I am about to do the Van de Graaff generator demo. I have tried it before
with some smaller devices and I did not have much success. Now I have a
generator with a rather large sphere. A student of mine told me that it
works better when one has hair jelly on his/her hair. Is it true?

If the aim is to get the person's hair to stand up, then no, this is
entirely incorrect. Choose someone with fine, clean hair of medium
length.

How
about the length of time a person needs to wait in order to get discharged.
(!!) Would shoes with rubber soles provide enough insulation?

Again if you mean "charged" enough to make the hair stand up, it
should take only a few seconds. I will often 'charge' and 'discharge'
the person a few times. Have the subject shake his/her head.

Rubber shoes are not enough in my experience. I use a wooden platform
mounted on plastic legs about 2 inches long. Make the board bigger
than the shoe size.

I just did this a few weeks ago and in my judgement the humidity of
the room is one of the most important factors. I had great success one
morning but by my afternoon class the humidity was up and I got pretty
disappointing results.

Dave

* St. John's Jesuit High School *
* David A. Simmons 5901 Airport Highway *
* <smtc45@uoft02.utoledo.edu> Toledo OH 43615 *