Certification Information

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Tim Sullivan x5830 wrote:

I think this is a very interesting subject as well. I have a very basic
question. What are the physics course requirements to be "certified" in
physics?

In Nebraska certification for secondary teaching can be either for a
"subject" (like physics, chemistry, math) or in a "field" (natural
science, physical science etc). If you have certification in the field
of physical science you are technically certified to teach physics.
Programs vary for this certification. They have to be approved by the
State Dept.of Education. I perused the catalogs of a number of instate
institutions.

At one instate school certification in the field of physical science
requires two semesters of non calculus based physics and one astronomy
course. They also require 3 semesters of chemistry, 2 of geology and one
of earth science. With this background they are certified to teach
physics in the state of Nebraska.

I have read the AIP report and in looking at their analysis of potential
errors/biases in their survey I did not see any reference to the changing
certification requirements. Perhaps the larger percentage of "certified"
physics teachers is more a reflection of changes in the requirements to
be certified and not an indication that teachers of physics have more
college preparation in physics.

Other schools have higher physics requirements for physical science
certification. At most of the schools at least 5 semesters of physics
are required to obtain this level of certification.

Bruce Esser
Physics Teacher Something witty
Marian High School Should go here
Omaha NE