Re: chart of nuclides

You can define excess mass (mass excess) delta as the following:

(M(nucleus, amu) - Z*m_proton - N*m_neutron)*931.5 MeV/amu

I believe that you can also define it as

(M(nucleus, amu) - A)*931.5 MeV/amu

I'm not 100% sure which is correct. The first one makes more sense to me
(since a free proton & neutron have different masses), but my "Nuclear Wallet
Cards" define it the second way, and the numbers given in the original message
agree with that.

Mike Thayer
Laboratory for Astrophysics & Space Research
The University of Chicago
thayer@odysseus.uchicago.edu | http://astro.uchicago.edu/home/web/thayer/