chart of nuclides

This question probably has a simple answer, but I haven't been able to
find one in any of my nuclear physics texts.

I've been using the info from the following url:

"http://necs01.dne.bnl.gov/CoN/index.html";>Chart of the Nuclides

For each element, there is reported an "Excess Mass", e.g.,
tritium: 14949 keV
helium 4: 2425 keV
carbon 14: 3029 keV
carbon 12: 0
Iron 56: -60601 keV

What IS excess mass? Maybe its supposed to be obvious, but I've got a
bad cold and maybe my brain is mush today.

* bob muir voice: (910) 334-5669 *
* physics & astron. e-mail: bob_muir@uncg.edu *
* unc greensboro *
* greensboro, nc 27412 http://www.uncg.edu/~muirrob *