Re: Problem solving or playtime?

(Some good points deleted)

I wrote this explanation for the student (please correct me
if I have it wrong):

\theta (t) = A \cos (\omega_1 t + \phi)

{d\theta \over dt} =
\omega_2 (t) = -\omega_1 A \sin (\omega_1 t + \phi)

{d^2\theta \over dt^2} = {d\omega \over dt} =
\alpha (t) = - \omega_1^2 A \cos(\omega_1 t + \phi)

Now \omega_1 is a constant angular velocity whose
sinusoidal PROJECTION determines the period or
frequency of oscillation. For instance,
T = {\omega_1 \over 2\pi}. \omega_1 in SHM is not a
**** Actually f = {\omega_1 \over 2\pi} and T = 1/f, but you knew that.=)
function of t.

\omega_2 (t) is the time varying angular velocity of an
angular oscillator (physical or classic pendulum). It
describes the actual physical angular velocity of the
pendulum as a projection of the constant angular velocity
\omega_1.

So \omega_1 \neq \omega_2 (t) in general.

In fact \omega_2 is a vector and \omega_1 is scalar although they usually
gloss over this point too. I try to distinguish the two by calling
\omega_2 the angular *velocity* and \omega_1 the angular *frequency*.

Since all of the introductory calc texts discuss the equations
for SHM and physical pendula periods and SHM as a
projection of circular motion, you might expect this
question to arise more frequently IF students are actually
interpreting the problems they are solving. The four
freshman mech w/calc texts I have here (I've been
reviewing for dept adoption) do not distinguish between the
two omegas.

Let me know what you conclude. We (I) use Young's calc based text and
Cutnell & Johnson's alg based text. These seem pretty good to me and my
students.

However, I have only ever been asked this question once in
lecture (I teach 500 students who I feel are amongst the
brightest freshman engineers extant). Similarly, I have
only ever been asked a few times why the units of torque isn't
joules. I suggest that for all of the talk about problem-
solving and conceptual understanding, traditional physics
texts and instruction (for too many of us the text IS the
curriculum) doesn't contain nearly enough in-depth
illustration and exemplar variety.

What use is knowing and being able to solve equations like:
f = \omega \over 2\pi
if students don't know which omega to use, and the texts
ignore the question entirely in the race to get the topic over
with in one chapter? Are we REALLY teaching problem-
solving skills or are we teaching plug-and-chug in a variety of
contexts with unexplained notation?

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics,
danmac@physics.purdue.edu
http://physics.purdue.edu/~danmac/homepage.html (yes, white socks)

J. D. Sample (501) 698-4625
Math-Physics Dept sample@lyon.edu