Re: Problem solving or playtime?

All the anecdotes being offered on this topic just illustrate that IT IS
DIFFICULT to teach problem solving. The books don't do it well, and you
can't really use book problems exclusively without running into many of
the problems that have been stated. HOWEVER--IMHO, it IS the problem
solving skills that one learns in a physics course that can be the MOST
important outcome, especially for students who are majoring in other areas.

There is definitely a 'lack' of ability/practice/confidence in this area
when students get to College. I suspect the 'culprits' are all the
elementary math teachers who religiously avoid the dreaded WORD PROBLEMS
that ARE now part of the texts and the curriculum. Problem Solving IS
important and SHOULD be part of the HS course.

'Doing Physics', conceptual physics, 'hands-on activities' are also
important at ALL levels, but once again, doing any of these ARE NOT
EASY--at least not if you are to avoid the 'just playing.' As
instructors we tend to get excited about demonstrations--evidence the
attendance of the demo sessions at any of the AAPT meetings. We have
federally funded programs to train people in the 'art' of
demonstrations. HOWEVER, demonstrations WITHOUT explanations, are 'just
playing' as far as I'm concerned, and too often I see this as the path
some HS and (non-majors college) courses tend to take.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara Updated software (4-12-96) now available
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556 FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE AVAILABLE AT
219-284-4664 http://estel.uindy.edu/aapt/rickt/software
rtarara@saintmarys.edu