Re: humming rods

I have found it difficult at times to get the rod "singing" by stroking
it with rosin covered fingers. I now hold the rod between a thumb and
first finger and tap it repeatedly with a small
mallet as it slips slowly through my fingers. Different overtones are

My lab has a cement floor so I just tap the rod lightly on the floor to
set it vibrating. It even works well for students. But before I do this I
make a big deal out of all the years I spent 'training' the
rods to sing. <grin>

Lowell Herr
The Catlin Gabel School