humming rods

I have found it difficult at times to get the rod "singing" by stroking
it with rosin covered fingers. I now hold the rod between a thumb and
first finger and tap it repeatedly with a small
mallet as it slips slowly through my fingers. Different overtones are
heard as the node points conicide with the place where my fingers are
touching the rod. The students are surprised at what they hear when my
finger and thumb get to the very end of the rod.

Fred Bucheit Physics teacher