Re: [Phys-L] electricity in the atmosphere

On 02/10/2018 01:45 PM, Ken Caviness wrote:

Yes, real life is never as simple as our explanations: actual
history is far more complicated than the textbook presentations, the
real universe is a lot more complicated than our scientific theories

And that's why we have stepping stones, building
blocks, and spiral paths. The motto is:
Start simple and proceed from there
(not start simple and just leave it there).

I would not call the streamlined, simplified explanation of the
scientific method "phony".

Beware, there are about 100 "simplified" versions.
Some of them are OK, but most of them are horribly
and needlessly oversimplified. More than a few
are phony. Some of the most prevalent ones are
acutely dangerous.

In particular, David Marx rightly objected to the
"hypothesis-theory-law" business. It fails coming
and going. It is not simple, nor true, nor anywhere
close to the path we want students to follow.

For details, see
https://www.av8n.com/physics/scientific-methods.htm
especially
https://www.av8n.com/physics/scientific-methods.htm#main-rule-law